Sunday, January 10, 2016

Upcycled Winter Snow Village

So....what do you get when you combine various and random Christmas village pieces from thrift stores and yard sales, a candle shaped like a tree, a couple of Christmas ornaments, and some leftover light fixtures that have been replaced in your home?


We'll get to that answer in a minute.

First let me just say, now that all of the holidays are over and things have slowed down just a bit (STILL waiting on Baby Girl's arrival...due date was yesterday!) I wanted to pop in and share this project I did back at the beginning of December.  I did it for Christmas, but actually I plan to leave it up through January because it's more "wintery" than it is Christmas so we can enjoy it a bit longer.

I've always loved Christmas villages, but I've never set about collecting one thus far because 1) we haven't had the room to store all the extra boxes it would take, and 2) I've never really had a good spot to set one up.  But this year I decided to do one on a smaller scale and on the cheap.

So how do you turn all those random things I mentioned before into some semblance of a village?


You spray paint everything white, Mod Podge on a little glitter, add some white lights and white sheet and VOILA!  You've got yourself a wintery snow village.




I even spray painted and glittered the candle tree to make it match.  I also added in my yarn "snowballs" that I made a few years ago just to add some extra interest and texture.


The little clear trees were a set of Christmas ornaments that I found at a thrift store that already had silver glitter on them. I love how the clear glitter on the houses resembles sparkly snow.


And the leftover light fixtures?  Well, I used the glass globes from them and stuffed some of the string of lights up inside of them to make them glow.  They look like big balls of sparkling ice to me.  :)  The rest of the string of lights was tucked under a white sheet to make it look like glowing snow.



It's amazing how a little bit of spray paint can bring random things together and make them cohesive.


My total investment in this village was about $6.  I tried to only pick village buildings that were less than expertly painted to begin with, that way I didn't feel so bad covering up someone else's work, lol!


It's glowing and beautiful and we've really enjoyed it and will continue to enjoy it for a couple more weeks.

I'll be sure to keep you posted on Baby Girl's arrival.  Hopefully SOON!  We're all getting very anxious for her to come.  :)

8 comments:

  1. We are looking forward to hearing that your baby girl is here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! Love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,
    I love the repurpose/ART you have completed and you've inspired me to re-do some of my very old Christmas decor! Thanks a bunch! Love your blog and look forward to your new posts.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great!!! I'm totally impressed at how great all these upcycled items came together.

    Praying you little girl will be here soon...safe and sound.

    Blessings...
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love how it all turned out--so clean and sparkly. I am especially impressed by how you used the old light fixture globes...brilliant!
    Thank you for sharing and congrats on your newest little blessing. Praying for a safe delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stephanie, I'm your newest member. What a great idea. The village looks beautiful. Best wishes on the arrival of your baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great idea! It turned out looking so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...